Monday, October 4, 2010

Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps

I went for this movie yesterday. To be honest, I had above average expectations from the movie. But after the show, I was confused. Couldn't decide how did I like the movie. Strange. Generally there are 3 categories of movies: one you like, one you dislike and one which you say are average. But in my case, I was not able to put a category tag on this one. Let me tell you why.

First of all, this movie is not for masses. Its not that sort of movie that anyone can get a grasp of. ok, let me rectify my previous statement. You might be able to grasp the plot of the movie but only a selected class of people can really appreciate the movie. Why? Its like the Television show "Big Bang Theory". Although many laugh at Sheldon's way of speaking or on his habits, but you will laugh more if you also understand what exactly he is saying. Similarly, for this movie, I suggest you better take a refresher course on finance or capital markets in general because they do use technical terms in the movie which if you don't understand, you will not be able to figure out whats going on. Com'on the movie is called "Wall Street", so that much understanding is taken for granted. If you talk about the plot of the movie, its not out of the world. Its a average plot where they have tried to replicate Lehman's collapse and sub-prime crisis and then extend it with some Wall Street rivalry and comeback of a wall street's smart crook through some back gate. There is also some father-daughter drama. So, plot wise - Average. What is good about the movie is that "something" which not everyone will be able to appreciate. The dialogues are brilliant but to get the glimpse of that brilliance you need to fall in that peculiar class of people or go prepared. Secondly, everything can't be said.... One need to understand what the characters are trying to do. You need to understand their plan. The director has quite handsomely captured this.... the tricks and tactics of walls street. But again you need to be familiar with the basics to understand these as not everything is said through dialogues.

On the negative side, the movie is slow at times and loses the grip on the viewers. As on the personal note, I myself was not able to follow every dialogue. I guess, I don't fall into that "class" of people ;) But actually, it was not the problem of comprehension. It was the problem of hearing.... At times (and it happened many times) I was not being able to get what they said! Was there some sound problem? I guess no... It was INOX and it was not the first movie I watching there. Nor I am a newbie to English movies... but still it was that newbie feeling when you watched your first English movie in college and half of the dialogues went over your head because of accent. But still the little bit of which I could get, I liked that. Hope you won't face the same issue.

If you are a finance person or some stock market enthusiast, like Vicky or Sid.... the movie is for you. Enjoy the show!!!

2 comments:

Sidharth said...

I saw this :)

Anu said...

I kind of liked the 1987 one more. The sequel was much too dramatized for my taste (very bollywood-ish, if you know what I mean). Especially towards the latter part of the movie.

It would have been much more fun if it had been a complete financial thriller. But then, it definitely would NOT be a movie for the masses then.